Monday, July 13, 2015

stitch fix #5



There's this little box that arrives on my doorstop every now and again that makes me very happy. It looks like this:


Not only is the box pretty, but what it contains is pure satisfaction (most of the time). Hopefully by now everyone has at least heard of Stitch Fix. If you haven't, here's a run down:
  • Make an account (use this referral link: https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/4656172)
  • Fill out a long style profile - yes, long, but it is SO.WORTH.IT.
  • Pay a $20 styling free
  • Pick a date for delivery
  • Wait for package
  • Package arrives - JUMP FOR JOY!
  • Open package and read note from stylist
  • Try on five clothing items
  • Keep what you like ($20 styling fee goes toward your balance)
  • Return what you don't (in a pre-paid large envelope)
  • Rinse and repeat
I always schedule mine when I know I'll need a pick-me up. So, right at the end of the school year during testing. A day or so before vacation in hopes of something new to wear. The weekend before school starts...and so on.

My last fix came the night before I left on my New Orleans vacation. Usually I dig right in, but since my husband was already in NOLA and I had the kids to myself, I waited very patiently until the kids were asleep to spend some time with my fix. Do you know the torture of waiting 2 hours to do this? Torture. See? Even Kellan didn't want to wait:

 
 
Stay away from this box Mommy. Play with me Mommy.
See how cute I am?
 
 
 
The glorious hour of 8:30 arrived, both boys snoozing. I open the box and take out all the clothes, read my stylist's note:
 
 
What I love is that I can share my Pinterest "fashion" page with Stitch Fix and the stylist styling the fix looks through it to see what I like (colors/lengths/textures/patterns, etc). You can see in the note that she is referring to my Pinterest board. And to me, that's worth the $20 styling fee to know they're really trying to get items to you that you will want to keep.
 
Next I pull everything out and try it on. You get pictures with styling tips for each piece but I don't really use them. Here's what they look like:
 
 
 
One of these "cards" come with each piece you receive. To me, this is useless because I don't own any of the other pieces on the card. But, I guess it might help some people otherwise they wouldn't waste their money printing it.
 
MY FIX:
Item #1: Hamlet Lace Detail Blouse ($38)
First you have to forgive the fact that my bathroom is dirty and this is after a workout so my hair is a mess.



 
Right before this fix, I went and adjusted my style profile (I had lost another 5 lbs - so I wanted to adjust sizing). Most importantly, for the first 4 fixes I had asked for nothing orange. I went and un-checked that so not to limit the sylist. And I get an orange top. Well, perhaps it's coral? Not sure. Either way, I love it. It fits nicely, but what I love the most is the back:
 
 
 
Cute little cutouts and lacey. I can wear it to work, which is a plus. But I can also wear it casually. This top came to New Orleans with me and I wore it with a pair of shorts I got a few fixes ago. Very light and airy. And the price was perfect.
KEEP!!!
 
*****************************
 
Item #2: Paige Maxi Dress ($78)
This dress is super cute.
 

Just not on me. It actually fit perfectly, looked great from the side. But when I looked at myself head-on, the dress was NOT flattering on my hips. It was a deep purple color, which I don't have anything of - so I loved that. The best part was the detail at the skirt, kind of like a waterfall. I tried to photograph the detail but at 8:30 at night, and with the dress so dark, it's hard to see.

 
If you are not a curvy lady, this is the dress for you!
RETURN!!!
 


*****************************
 
Item #3: Alamar Crew Neck Top ($48)
This top makes me dizzy.
 

I thought however, it would look great with black dress pants or a black skirt. If it were a little more fitted, I may have kept it. But, it was too loose for me. I'm making a note on my next fix to have the tops be more fitted so I don't look like I'm wearing a drape.
RETURN!!!

*****************************
 
Item #4: Kaylie Chevron Blazer ($128)
I do not look at the price before trying on an item.
 

...and the bad thing about that is I fall in love. OMG. This blazer is amazing. I've been asking for a blazer for the past 2 fixes before this and the ones they sent were either ugly (gothic) or too big. This stylist FINALLY got it right. The chevron pattern is small enough not to make it look overly trendy. It fits snugly enough to be flattering, but loose enough to wear a cami underneath. I can wear it to work, or with some jeans and heels. Very versatile. And since I've been wanting one for months,
KEEP!!! - and pretend you didn't see the price tag.

*****************************
 
Item #5: Davies Lace Overlay Top ($54)
Stylist knows what I like: navy and white, and lace.
 

The problem is, the fabric is so rigid. It felt like I was wearing cardboard. I'm sure after a wash, that wouldn't be the case. But who wants to have that first impression? Here's an up close look at the detail:


I mean, it is truly cute and totally my style. Just not a great feel. Plus, again, too loose.
RETURN!!!

*****************************
 
So, if you do the math, the two items I kept add up to $166. Take away the $20 styling fee and I owed $146. I had a $2 credit leftover from referrals I had received, so my final bill was $144. OUCH. Typically I don't spend over $100 on a fix. Darn blazer I couldn't part with!!!
 
 
 
This is what the bill looks like. The cool thing I've yet to take advantage of is the Buy 5 Discount. If you buy all items, you get a 25% discount. I just haven't received a fix where I loved the items enough to spend the money. Now, let me say that this fix was atypically expensive for me. I have on my style profile that I'm cheap (meaning I want the least expensive items possible). Most of the time my fix - with the Buy 5 Discount - is well below $200.
 
What do you do with the items you don't want? You throw them in the pre-paid large envelope and drop it off anywhere USPS mail is collected. Here's my bag of 3 items ready to go back:
 

After that, you go onto Stitch Fix's website and "checkout". For each item, you tell them if you're keeping or returning. Then you give feedback on each item: how you liked the style, size, fit, and price. There's also a comment section for each item for you to give more detailed feedback. They love feedback and I don't hold back. The more I say, the better the next fix will be!

*****************************
 
So are you ready for a fix?
Use my referral link to sign up: https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/4656172
 
If you use the link to sign up, once you receive your first fix,
I get a $25 credit!
And once you fall in love, you can forward your referral link to your friends and you'll get credit, too!
THANKS IN ADVANCE :)
 
Fondly,











 

 
 
 



2 comments:

  1. Yvette is an awesome stylist! Nice pieces! Have you had her as your stylist before? I love the blazer btw....worth the price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have paid attention to the stylist's names. But this was my favorite fix so far so I should request her more!!!

      Delete